WESTFIELD, Massachusetts – The Westfield Starfires will host four games in three days as part of their second week of Futures Collegiate Baseball League action, with a packed weekend punctuating the heaviest scheduled period of play of the 2020 season and beginning the longest stretch of home games in the campaign.
THE ROAD AHEAD: • The Starfires visit the Worcester Bravehearts on Wednesday, July 15, looking to avenge a 3-2 loss on Tuesday, July 14 where the team allowed the go-ahead run in the ninth.
• Following that, the team heads south to New Britain, Connecticut to face the New Britain Bees for the third time this season; Westfield has split a pair with the league’s newest team, including a 6-4 opening night victory on July 6.
• The team then returns to Bullens Field for six consecutive home games.
HOME COOKING: • The homestand begins Friday, July 17 with a 6:30 p.m. matchup against the Nashua Silver Knights; it will be the first meeting of the season between the teams.
• North Shore returns the following evening, also at 6:30 p.m., six days after the Starfires swept the Navigators with a 4-3 walk-off win and a record-setting 15-5 victory on July 12.
• The weekend closes with a doubleheader against the Brockton Rox on Sunday, July 19, with the first pitch of game one set for 3 p.m. It will be the first trip of the season to Bullens for the Rox, who the Starfires defeated 10-1 on July 11 in the only previous matchup of the two teams.
• After an off day on Monday, July 20, the Starfires host the Bees for the first time on Tuesday, July 21 and then finish the home stretch with the first of three against Worcester on Wednesday, July 22; both games are slated for 6:30 p.m. starts.
HOT STARTS: • Several players are off to hot starts in the 2020 season for the Starfires.
• Eric Callahan (Columbus, OH / Millersville) has seven hits and four walks in 25 plate appearances through the first seven games, good for a .333 average and .440 on-base percentage.
• Mark Coley (Bloomfield, CT / Rhode Island) has a pair of home runs early on and has reached safely 11 times in 26 plate appearances as well, good for a .423 on-base percentage.
• Drew DeMartino (Pittsfield, MA / Hartford) is tied with Callahan for the team lead in hits with seven and is batting a scorching .412.
• On the mound, Cregg Sherrer (Skaneateles, NY / Albany) was named FCBL Pitcher of the Week following his first two appearances; in 7.2 innings, he has not allowed an earned run and has held the opposition to just five hits while fanning six.
• Nick Dombkowski (West Springfield, MA / Hartford) has made two starts and allowed just one earned run in eight total innings while striking out a team-high 10.
FCBL NETWORK: • All FCBL games during the 2020 season are available to watch on the FCBL Network, which can be found at www.fcblnetwork.com. • Single-game passes are $8, while an all-access pass that allows you to watch every FCBL contest all season long is $99.